Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Starting Out

It was a little over two years ago when God decided to move my parents heart to adopting a baby boy. They first started thinking about it after a concert almost four years ago. Then over the years they became more aware of the orphan crisis around the world. My mom and dad soon also became more aware about Gods loving heart in caring for the orphans. After a lot of prayer they started getting more information about the adoption process. In October 2008 they attended an informational seminar with America World Adoption Agency (AWAA). Through the agency they met several couples who had adopted and they shared their stories. There was more prayer and about a month later they decided to take that huge step of faith and adopt a little baby.

At first I didn't really think my parents were serious. Then when they said they definitely wanted to adopt I was really upset. The thought of the new baby made me wonder if I would be kicked out of my parents life. I was totally against the idea. I didn't like it when we talked about it so my parents said they would not talk about it with me until I was ready. Then finally little by little I got used to the idea. Soon I told Mommy and Daddy, "We should do this."

When I was almost excited we were adopting, a new surprise came that we were going to adopt a special needs baby. When my mom and dad explained it, I totally freaked out. They said it was possible we would get a cleft lip or a cleft palate and I hated that idea. Then they also said we might get a baby with a missing limb (or a limb difference). Now after all the discussion of the special needs I didn't want to adopt anymore. Then after a night of a big discussion in bed about how my parents will never stop loving me no matter what, I loosened up about the idea. Another night we had another talk about the idea of getting a baby with a limb difference. Mommy and Daddy explained how those kids can do almost anything. Then I decided it would be kind of cool to have a baby with a limb difference. My concerns still weren't over. I worried most about the idea that Daddy would favor the new baby boy instead of me. After more talking I finally clicked about a special needs baby and soon I got more and more excited. My sister Julia was excited from the beginning. She said she wanted to adopt and it had to be from China (she feels like she's one with the Chinese). We all agreed that it should be from China and that is when we started on the paperwork.

After that in January 2009 we started getting into all the paper work. Then this summer we started going as a family into the city to do more paperwork and then getting good New York pizza. (That is very important for when you go into the city. (Always remember- GET PIZZA!).Two weeks ago we got a phone call from AWAA. They said they had a match and they sent us an email of the pictures. He is SO ADORABLE!!!!!!! He has cute little thin eyes and it was funny to see him in the picture with all girl toys surrounding him. The little baby had a limb difference. As soon as we saw the picture we were all screaming with excitement! Mommy and Daddy said they would pray and think on it but deep down I knew he was the one. Day after day they prayed and we got more and more excited. Soon we finally said yes to him and last week we sent in our dossier to China. It arrived there November 2 at 9:30AM (their time). We were all so excited. We were jumping up and down when we heard it arrived. Now all we are doing is waiting to go pick up our little boy and he is waiting for a family like us to kiss him goodnight. The wait time could be up to 6 months but we know that God will do what He has to do to bring our little boy home to us.

Check with you later!

3 comments:

  1. Love your blog post Jen!! Excellent and makes me want to cry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna, I love the story that you wrote. You should definitely be a writer. You're so talented. Good Luck. Marion

    ReplyDelete